Monday, June 1, 2015

The Cause of The Effects




Time is tough on a lot of bands, especially after calling it quits over two decades ago. That hasn’t stopped The Effects, local eighties 2 Tone ska and reggae band, from reforming to play again. For a genre of music that was struggling to find its place in this country back then, I was shocked to learn that Phoenix had a ska band that far back. I was lucky enough to find some time to interview Shadrach Powell, bassist and vocalist of The Effects as well as a guest vocalist of nineties ska band Kongo Shock:

I understand that y’all started in the eighties. When exactly did The Effects start?

The Effects started in 1982.

What did the scene look like back then?

The scene was awesome. [There was] lots of local music: Meat Puppets, Killer Pussy, Billy Clone and the same good clubs. [There was] also a local station that played lots of local music.

What kind of music did y’all start out playing?

I was in a couple of reggae bands and a punk band called Nigger Charlie. My keyboard player and guitar player were in a band together; that's how we all met.

As I’ve heard The Effects recently, I’d say that y’all play more of a cross between 2 Tone ska and reggae. How have y’all evolved over the years?

Yes, we all came from that 2Tone ska era. Over the years I would say we still held on to our roots of ska reggae rudeboy style. So now we use those influences to write songs.

What acts/music influenced The Effects back in the day?

The bands that influenced us back in the day were The Specials, Selecter, Toots and the Maytals,and Desmond Dekker.

How have your influences changed over the years?

Well as you know ska has changed over the years so I started listening to more progressive bands like Operation Ivy, Skankin Pickle and Mustard Plug.

What’s your take on the scene in the nineties compared to back in the eighties?

I feel the nineties people actually knew more about ska, rudeboy and blue beat music. Sometimes even now someone will come up to me and say “Hey I remember when you opened for The Skatalites” and will name an obscure Skatalites song which still surprises me.

What do you think of the scene today?

The scene today is getting better. I have been to a couple of ska shows here and I see more and more people that actually know the music.


What would your dream lineup be (living or dead) for an Effects show?

My dream lineup for a show would be Hepcat, The Specials, Operation Ivy and The Skatalites. Woop woop good and rude.

What does the future hold for The Effects?

We are currently working on a 14 song CD and are looking for a ball rude sax player and trumpet player. We plan on some regional touring and trying to book ska shows here to widen the scene. We just want to play and perform and put on great shows. We will be playing this First Friday at Rips Bar on 16th St & Earll on June 5 from 9:30 PM till close.


~ Garyn Klasek

No comments:

Post a Comment